I’m a parenting coach and expert in childhood development. I also have a 28 year old son and 25 year old daughter. If your budget allows for several hundred in gifts, that’s wonderful.
There are 365 days in a year to raise your child, only one of them is Christmas. I suggest considering how you’re doing as a parent all year around before you begin to shop. Here are a few questions to consider:
- Is it good for YOUR child to get lots of gifts?
- Is your child already good at sharing? Have you spent a little time with your child considering toys that are ‘outgrown’ and should be put/given away?
- Does your child demand every toy advertised?
- Do you feel like you owe your child everything you can afford?
- If you have more than one child, does one feel s/he is entitled to everything the other is getting?
Getting at the roots of the reasons for giving make a lot of sense; taking time daily to raise a disciplined, responsible child means you’ll be happy on Christmas… and all the other days of the year.
Still not sure what to do? Contact me. The first coaching session is free. It’s to see if we might work well together.